top of page

Facts For Kids: Blood

Helpful Facts For Kids

Platelets, Plasma, And All!


There's a whole miraculous world running through our veins, an incredible highway of magical substance that is responsible for keeping us alive-

BLOOD!


Entering a homeschool unit study during October, all about vampires (yes, vampires!), had learning topics emerging from every nook and cranny. It may sound like an unusual topic to explore, but I relished in delight, because although it was vampires on the surface, I knew it was going to lead us into some serious learning. From the elements of a folklore, to the anatomy of garlic, and the architecture of castles, vampires was an excellent festive theme to springboard into science, math, language, and more!

And just what is a vampire's favorite drink?

We absolutely had to include the study of blood.


We took a great look into blood, its components, and the importance of donating. While only learning about blood may disappoint a vampire, gaining insight and understanding, got our blood racing- in a good way!


If you'll be placing blood under the microscope in your lesson, vampire or otherwise, here are some amazing facts to get flowing.


*Get the complete Vampire Lesson Plan HERE!*

 

What Is In Blood?

Blood is made up of cells, protein, and sugars. The four main components are plasma, red blood cells, and white blood cells, and platelets. Around 55% of our blood is plasma, leaving the remaining 45% red blood cells, platelets, and white blood cells.


What Is Blood's Purpose?

Blood has a huge, important job! The function of blood is to deliver nutrients, fight infections, haul away waste, regulate temperature, and more!


How Many Types Of Blood Are There?

There are four main blood types, each with either a positive or negative RH factor, making a total of eight blood types. RH factor is determined by the presence or absence of a protein found on the surface of red blood cells.

*Learn about the different blood types and their compatibility with this helpful and

FREE resource!*

Click HERE For "Blood Donation Station" Activity Sheet

Vampire Unit Blood Donation Station Activity Sheet

How Valuable Is Blood?

Blood is precious! Beyond its life-saving capabilities, blood even has traces of gold in it! If you were to mine the gold from blood, you would obtain roughly .2 milligrams. More important than gold, donated blood is precious in that it helps people during surgeries, or after accidents, or with illnesses.


How Much Does It Weigh?

Blood inside of a body weighs approximately 10% of an adult's weight.


Where Is Blood Made?

Blood cells are made inside the body in our bone marrow. Bone marrow is a soft, spongy substance inside the center of bones. It's here where 95% of the body's blood cells are made.


How Much Can We Donate?

In the United States, a person needs a blood transfusion every two seconds! This astounding fact makes donating blood so important and necessary. For those who are able, donating blood saves lives, and a healthy adult can donate 1 pint of blood every 56 days without any negative side effects.




 

Don't Take Flight Just Yet, There's More Homeschool Help and Resources To Sink Your Fangs Into HERE!

Vampire Unit Learning Activity
This spelling activity was to die for!

Join The Learning Adventure!

Subscribe To Get Homeschool Support And Inspiration Straight To Your Inbox.




Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page